Saturday, December 17, 2011

Christopher Hitchens: A Man of Letters

My intellectual hero Christopher Hitchens passed away. His courage, wit, intelligence, and sense of humour will be greatly missed. May your writings and moral force continue to inspire us.

"A life that partakes even a little of friendship, love, irony, humour, parenthood, literature, and music, and the chance to take part in battles for the liberation of others cannot be called 'meaningless' except if the person living it is also an existentialist and elects to call it so. It could be that all existence is a pointless joke, but it is not in fact possible to live one's everyday life as if this were so."



"I shouldn't be in these gardens?" Who the HELL are you? I think you're about as smart as you look! You're about as smart as you look! I shouldn't be in these gardens, what! You see what brain rot - you see what brain rot descends on people. Unbelievable!
typical Hitchens... :)

Addendum: Andrew Sullivan remembers Hitch
Christopher Buckley's tribute to Christopher Hitchens
My favourite Hitchens video

Postscriptum: Hitch-22 was the best autobiography I read last year (here's an excerpt). The prose flew like river, yet every single word hit right on the spot. I gotta admit, I really had hard time putting it down - even during my finals week :)

2 comments:

hasha said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Ачболд said...

I know, sadface.